Conversations at various public events and surveys show a desire for the service level to increase to better match the long term needs of the municipality and its residents.
This budget proposes new initiatives to help improve the quality of life of our residents and enhance the protection of the environment. Some of the key improvements of contained in this year’s financial plan include:
- Funding for a Community Center in South St. Clements and a boat launch for Grand Marais
- Nearly $2 million for resurfacing roads and an increase in the road graveling program
- Improved drainage will begin throughout the RM, first with proper surveys, then prioritizing our aging system
- Efforts to increase capacity the Henderson/Lockport wastewater will move another step forward with a preliminary engineering plan
- Curbside pickup of trash and recycling for much of the RM beginning as soon as September
- Increased by-law enforcement in the cottage areas
The municipal tax rate increased 5.6%, or 0.5 mills from 8.9 in 2016 to 9.4 in 2017. This translates into $22 per $100,000 of assessment. School Division taxes range from 13.4 to 14.3 mills.
Download the 2017 Financial Plan
A Public Hearing for the 2017 Financial Plan and general borrowing for South St. Clements Activity Centre and Drainage Works will be held on Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm in the RM of St. Clements Council Chambers in East Selkirk. Learn more about this event here.
If you have any questions or concerns please consider attending our Informational Open House on Monday, May 1 from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm where you can talk to Council and staff. Learn more about this event here.