Fisheries and Oceans Canada is undertaking a dredging project at Balsam Bay Small Craft Harbour during the winter of 2018.
Work will likely begin within the first two weeks of February, dependent on weather/ice conditions, equipment breakdowns, etc. The contractor will likely create a temporary access point to the north or south of the harbour. This will allow the contractor to gain access to the worksite as well as provide users an alternate access point to the lake
- A fence will be erected at the launch ramp in the harbour
- A smaller secondary fence will then be erected further in the harbour
- An additional fence will be placed around the dredging area at the mouth of the harbour (where the dredging will be taking place)
- Snow and ice that is removed to complete the dredging will be piled around the working area to create an additional barrier around the worksite
- Since there will be open water and thin ice in the dredging area, reflective tape and markers will be placed on the ice around the work site to make it visible during the night.
Signs will be placed IN ADVANCE of closure by the launch ramp, as well as on the ice, to give notice to users that the harbour access will be closed until at least March 31, 2018. Once construction begins no one will be allowed to access to the harbour.
For inquiries, please contact:
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Small Craft Harbours