Our Public Works department applies dust control to our roads in our RM once per year. Dust control is applied as soon as possible once the following are done:
- weight restrictions are lifted
- roads are prepared with blading
- scheduled gravel applied where approved
- as materials and equipment become available.
For more information on the complete maintenance of roads by season, click here.
At the May 25, 2021 Council Meeting, Policy #350 was passed to establish conditions and standards for additional dust control application to benefit private residences, at the residents cost.
Residents that wish to order additional dust control are paying 100% of the additional material cost only and the amount will change each year depending on the dust control cost. Based on the application rate done by the RM of St. Clements the cost of material for 2021 applications would be set at $0.45 per square meter.
There will be two payment intake options with corresponding application dates (paid orders will take place as soon as practically possible):
1. Property owners not receiving dust control (this could include properties with a second driveway, secondary resort roads that are done every 2nd year) Application done in early July – payment needs to be made in advance of the last Friday of June
2. Property owners wanting a second application Application done in early August – payment needs to be made in advance of the last Friday of July
How to purchase
- Complete the additional dust control application form (we ask that you please review Policy #350 with further details).
- Resident must submit completed application form with payment by:
- coming down to our office and paying with debit, cash or cheque
- mailing in the application form with a cheque
- Staff will process payment provide resident a copy of the receipt
- Staff will give you two stakes to mark out where you would like the start and end of your dust control applied
- Staff will notify our Public Works department and PW will make arrangements for second application
Important to note:
- The RM will not be responsible for any private dust control products applied to the roadway by a resident and will maintain the road way as deemed necessary by Public Works – we must maintain or grade the roadways as necessary to maintain a safe driving surface
- Additional paid dust control applications are subject to having a minimum volume of material request, if a resident paid but there is not enough for a minimum load, they will be contacted to either hold the request for an upcoming month or be reimbursed
Is there are minimum amount I must order?
Yes. The minimum required is length of 100 meters and width of 3.65 meters.
What would then be the minimum charge?
The minimum charge would be 100 meters x 3.65 meters = 365 square meters x $.45 = $164.25 total for minimum amount.
What am I paying for?
If you choose to pay for a dust control application, you are paying for 100% of the material cost only – you are NOT paying any admin, overhead, pre-water, pre-blading etc.
What company will be providing the dust control application?
This can change each year as the RM sends out a request for quotation as to which company we obtain our dust control from.
What if I want apply my own dust control all together?
If you are planning on purchasing and applying your own dust control, we ask that you contact our office. Our Public Works will need to approve the product that you are putting down and we need to be notified of where it is going so that we can coordinate and try not to damage your application. It is noted in our Policy:
The RM will not be responsible for any private dust control products applied to the roadway by a resident and will maintain the road way as deemed necessary by Public Works
I want to pay for additional dust control application, what do I do?
Simply fill out the application form and submit it to our office with payment. You can either mail in the form with a cheque for the amount, made out to The RM of St. Clements or you can stop by our office located at 1043 Kittson Road to fill out the form and pay with either debit, cash or cheque.
I have further questions that were not answered here?
Please contact us directly by phone at 204-482-3300 or by email at email@example.com.