Property Tax Info


Property tax due date

Property taxes are due on October 31.

Paying property taxes

In person at the RM office:
Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The RM office is located at 1043 Kittson Road in East Selkirk.
For after-hours payments, use the mail slot at the back door (top of the stairs) of the RM Office

Payment methods:

  • Cheque (payable to the RM of St. Clements, can be post-dated)
  • Cash
  • Debit: Check with your financial institution to ensure your point of purchase limit is high enough for the amount you wish to pay.
    Please note: we currently do not accept credit card payments.
  • By Mail
    Send cheque payable to the RM of St. Clements (may be post-dated):
    Box 2, Group 35, RR 1
    East Selkirk, Manitoba
    R0E 0M0
  • Pre-authorized payments (PAP)
    PAPs are regular payments drawn monthly, quarterly or annually from your financial institution. This can be set up at the RM office.
    You will receive a tax statement in the summer. Payments made before May 31 will not be reflected on your tax statement but have been credited to your tax account.
    Review regularly to ensure proper payments are being made; you are still responsible if your financial institution makes an error.
  • Online
    Pay online through your financial institution’s website.For this service we have partnered with BMO, TD Canada Trust, CIBC, Manitoba Credit Unions, RBC, Scotia Bank Group.Login to your financial institution’s website to make the payment.
    Set the transaction up as a bill payment.For the bill payee, it varies beween financial institutions but it will be something like ‘RM of St. Clements (taxes)’
    Use your roll number as the account numberDrop any zeros at the start of the number, ignore the decimal, and add any numbers after the decimal
    example 1: roll number 00012345.123 would be account number 12345123
    example 2: roll number 00054321.000 would be account number 54321000Make the payment as you would a bill paymentContact your financial institution if you are not sure how to set this up

Late payments

Penalties of 1.25% will be added on the first day of every month that taxes are in arrears* . Properties that are in arrears for more than two years are subject to tax sale proceedings.
* arrears: money that is owed that should have been paid earlier

Property tax statements

Tax statements are mailed out mid-summer of every year.
Tax statements are sent to the address the RM has on file.
If you didn’t receive a tax statement, you are still responsible for paying your property taxes. Contact the RM office at 204-482-3300 to request a copy.
It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the RM of St. Clements has the correct mailing address.
If you are on the Pre-authorized Payment (PAP) plan, you will still receive a tax statement. The balance will show payment to May 31of the previous year but your account has been credited.

Tax Statement appeals

You can not appeal your statement, but you can appeal the assessed value of your property through the board of revision held every fall.

Education Property Tax Credit (EPTCA)

The EPTCA Application form is available on the Department of Finance website ( ) or at the Municipal office.
To qualify for the EPTCA:
1. The property must be your principal residence
2. You must have occupied it as of January 1 of the taxed calendar year
3. You must not be receiving the credit for another residence
This credit must be reported on your current year’s income tax return when claiming the education property tax credit. The application must be filed on or before November 15 of the current calendar year.

Moving in or out of the municipality

Let the RM office know of any change in ownership or mailing address in order to ensure that the tax statement is properly forwarded.
If the property is in the process of changing owners, the person named on the tax statement is responsible for paying the property tax.

If ownership changed after the tax statement was issued, please forward the tax statement to the current owner or return it immediately to the RM office.

The property owner is responsible for tax payment even if they didn’t receive a statement and are liable for penalties arising from late payment.

Seniors School Tax Rebate

The deadline to apply for the 2015 Rebate has passed.

The 2016 Rebate will be claimed when you file your 2016 income tax return in the spring of 2017. This means that a separate application for the Rebate is no longer necessary. It also means that in future years, you will be able to make retroactive claims for up to three years, but no further back than the 2016 Rebate.

To be eligible for the Seniors’ School Tax Rebate, you or your spouse/common-law partner must:

        • Be 65 years of age or older by the end of the year (December 31)
        • Own your home or be liable for paying the school taxes on your principal residence
        • Live in your home
        • Be residents of Manitoba

For 2016, the maximum Rebate limit of $470 for eligible seniors is retained.

The Rebate is now calculated based on net school taxes paid, after the Basic and Seniors’ Education Property Tax Credits (EPTC) are taken into account. In addition, for eligible senior households with a net family income of over $40,000, the Rebate will be reduced by 2.0% of net family income over $40,000. Eligible seniors below the $40,000 income-tested threshold will still be eligible for a full Rebate depending on net school tax paid. Senior households with a family net income of $63,500 or more will no longer receive the Rebate.

Get answers to frequently asked questions from the province’s website.
For more information, please contact:
Manitoba Tax Assistance Office
Phone: 204-948-2115 (Toll-free 1-800-782-0771)
Further details are available in the 2016 Budget on the web at

Farmland School Tax Rebate

Applications for the 2016 Farmland School Tax Rebate and proof that property taxes along with any penalties and interest are paid in full must be received by Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation by the March 31, 2017 deadline.  For additional information see or call 204-726-7068.

The Manitoba government is offering a rebate of up to 80% of the school taxes levied on your farmland for 2016.
The Farmland School Tax Rebate reduces the net school taxes paid on your farmland. Your application for the 2016 tax year must be received by MASC by March 31, 2017.

How it works

If you are a Manitoba resident who owns farmland in Manitoba and you paid your 2016 property taxes, you may be eligible for the rebate. The rebate applies only to the school taxes assessed on your farmland and does  not apply to residences or buildings.

How to apply

If you received a rebate for 2015,a 2016 application form was mailed to you. You can also download an application form from or pick one up from your local Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC) office, Manitoba Agriculture office or municipal office.

For more information:
Phone: 204.726.7068