Description: This is a unionized position.
Under the general direction of the Public Works Manager, or his/her designate, the Surveyor/Draftsman is responsible for all surveying activities and drafting duties (AutoCAD and manual) regarding municipal infrastructure works for the Department of Operations and the organization.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 3:30pm. Overtime may be a possibility.
East Selkirk Public Works, 155 CIL Road, East Selkirk, Manitoba
- Maintain, update and revise existing plans, drawings and records for the RM.
- Provide relevant information regarding RM infrastructure to Engineering Consultants, contractors, utility companies, general public and other RM Departments.
- Conduct preliminary surveys, line surveys, cross sections, topographic surveys and all other surveys required by the organization.
- Prepare sketch plans and technical drawings from field notes and existing data, to prepare pre-design, design drawings and as built drawings for review, including reviews by Council and within general public presentations.
- Oversee the construction of capital projects relevant to the Operations Department or as directed.
- Prepare charges, graphs and diagrams for publications, reports, and budgets.
- Design roads, streets, sidewalks, curbing, underground utilities, surface drainage systems and other associated land features and to supervise survey and drafting summer season assistant.
- Set all grade levels and elevations pertaining to building construction and lot drainage.
- Prepare estimates for the purposes of capital projects and maintenance projects.
- Provide support and training to other employees as required.
- Practice established safety rules and regulations for the protection of self, fellow employees, the public and property, or equipment operated, by being continuously aware of existing and new safety procedures
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contracts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Policy.
- Provide support services within the RM of St. Clements Emergency Plan in the event of an emergency as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
- Grade 12 diploma, or GED equivalent.
- Diploma or Degree in Civil Engineering Technology (CET designation) Note – A combination of related education and experience will also be considered.
- Two (2) years experience as a surveyor and with using AutoCAD.
- Possess a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License.
- Ability to effectively perform computer assisted drafting (AutoCAD)
- Ability to perform surveying using the following tools: Total Station, GPS, Transit & Level
- Ability to express ideas concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Working knowledge of electronic word processing and basic data base management
- Must be physically able to perform all the labouring aspects of other duties associated with the position
- Strong communication and problem solving skills with the ability to respectfully interact with customers, citizens, RM leaders, RM colleagues, members of the public, members of Council and other stakeholders.
- Effective decision making with the ability to apply reasonable judgement.
Applications with detailed resume, clearing stating the position applied for, will be received at the Municipal Office (1043 Kittson Road, East Selkirk) or through email at email@example.com
Applicant screening may begin as early as January 23, 2023, however the posting will remain opened until a suitable candidate is located.